Thursday, September 4, 2014

Week 3..

This week had a little more printing and stamping for the kinders and first graders. We were discussing the direction of lines and some shapes. 

Kinder made prints of their homes. 
I always find these spectacularly special. I love the child style thinking and how they represent things. 
They used laminate samples to practice printing their vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines and used sponges cut into shapes for different details. 

First grade, using the same method created city scapes that they will color in next week with pastels. 

This building has many many windows but is the overall idea of what they are trying to accomplish. 
 
Second grade is creating busy cities but they are drawing them. We have discussed the directions of lines and various geometric shapes that can be found in buildings and their surroundings. 

I don't give too many parameters because I feel like they should be thinking these things up. I tell them the direction to hold their paper, skills they will need like "draw light, until you've got it right" and how to organize things to look best. The rest is up to them. As long as they can explain their learning goal and artistic decisions I'm a happy (and proud) little art teacher. 

Third grade is creating LineScapes. They are learning the three parts of a landscape and then using line to decorate the areas within their landscape. The one below isn't complete but is in good shape to have the lines added next week. We are studying wavy, curved, dotted, broken, curly types of lines and they are free to make their own up. 

It's the third week of school. I'm super proud of my kids. They are adapting well and following my very organized routines. 

I love being an art teacher. Mostly because I'm always impressed with what my kids come up with. 

"Every artist is a child. The problem is staying one once you grow up" Picasso 

On to week 4! 

No comments:

Post a Comment